Chlorinated lime poisoning

Fact Checked

Chlorinated lime is a chemical compound utilized as a bleach and disinfectant. It is typically in a form of white powder and labelled as chlorine or bleach powder.

Poisoning can occur by accident or intention intake of products that contain the compound.

It is important to note that chlorinated lime include chlorine and calcium compounds including calcium chloride, calcium hydroxide and calcium hypochlorite. Remember that some of the chemicals are considered highly toxic to humans.

What are the indications?

The indications of chlorinated lime poisoning vary in every case and range from minor to severe. Different body systems can be affected if poisoning occurs.

The usual symptoms of poisoning include the following:

  • Difficulty breathing if the fumes were inhaled
  • Significant burning sensation and pain in the mouth and throat
  • Serious damage throughout the GI tract including the stomach which can lead to perforations
  • Difficulty swallowing and speaking due to the swelling of the throat and tongue
  • Severe skin burns and irritation
    Chlorinated lime poisoning
    Difficulty swallowing and speaking due to the swelling of the throat and tongue.
  • Nausea
  • Vision loss
  • Intense stomach pain
  • Blood-streaked stool and vomit
  • Diminished level of alertness
  • Abrupt drop in the blood pressure
  • Dizziness
  • Poorly coordinated movement
  • Collapse
  • Drastic blood pH changes that can affect different parts of the body

Management of chlorinated lime poisoning

If an individual is suspected with poisoning, call for emergency assistance right away or the poison control center.

  • The individual should be transferred away from the site of exposure, preferably to an area with fresh air.
  • Assess if the individual is breathing and has a pulse rate.
  • If the eye or skin was exposed to chlorinated lime, thoroughly wash using large amounts of water for up to 15 minutes.
  • Do not try to induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by a healthcare professional.
  • In case the individual swallowed the substance, provide water or milk right away to drink. Do not provide anything orally if the individual is vomiting or has low level of alertness.

Quick Note / Disclaimer

The material posted on this page on chlorinated lime poisoning is for learning and educational purposes only. To learn to recognize the signs, register for a first aid and CPR course with Red Deer First Aid.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top

The information posted on this page is for educational purposes only.
If you need medical advice or help with a diagnosis contact a medical professional

  • All content is reviewed by a medical professional and / sourced to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.

  • We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable websites, academic research institutions and medical articles.

  • If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please contact us through our contact us page.