Petroleum jelly overdose

Petroleum jelly overdose occurs if an individual ingests large amounts of the product. The intake might be by accident or done intentionally.

An overdose occurs if the individual ingests petroleum jelly. Exposure can also occur if it enters the eyes which triggers a variety of symptoms.

What are the indications?

An individual suspected with petroleum jelly overdose might include the following:

  • Coughing
  • Abdominal pain
  • Diarrhea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Irritation of the nose, eyes, skin and throat
    Petroleum jelly overdose

    If eye exposure occurs, it should be flushed with large amounts of water for up to 15 minutes.

Management of petroleum jelly overdose

If an individual is suspected with petroleum jelly overdose, call for emergency assistance if the individual:

  • Loses consciousness
  • Suffering from seizures, drowsiness or vomiting
  • Sustained eye injuries
  • Experiencing chest pain or difficulty breathing

While waiting for the emergency team to arrive on the scene, the following measures can be done:

  • Check the mouth of the individual. Remove any leftover petroleum jelly if he/she tried to swallow the product.
  • In case the individual is not breathing or there are no signs of movement, perform CPR right away.
  • Do not attempt to induce vomiting.
  • In case the individual starts to vomit, turn him/her to one side to prevent choking.
  • If eye exposure occurs, it should be flushed with large amounts of water for up to 15 minutes.

It is important to note that petroleum jelly is a non-toxic substance. Generally, most cases can fully recover.

Quick Note / Disclaimer

The material posted on this page on petroleum jelly overdose is for learning and educational purposes only. To learn to recognize the indications of overdose, register for a first aid and CPR course with Red Deer First Aid.

Tags:

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Please complete this captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.