Many women go through pregnancy with some undesirable symptoms but without serious issues. The usual discomforts of pregnancy include nausea, increased urge to urinate, heartburn, breast tenderness and swelling, tiredness and back pain.
There are some signs that might indicate danger to the mother or the child. A doctor must be consulted if any of these are present before the 37th week of pregnancy:
- Pressure, pain or cramping in the abdomen
- Leaking of fluid from the vagina
- Contractions that occur more than 4 times in an hour or less than 15 minutes apart
A doctor must be also seen promptly if the following are present:
- Continuous episodes of nausea and vomiting
- Vaginal bleeding
- Body temperature of over 100 degrees F
- Abrupt weight gain with evident swelling of the feet, face, ankles or hands
- Diminished movement and kicking of the baby
- Intense headache or one that lasts for several days
- Visual issues
- Persistent diarrhea
- Blood-streaked urine or pain and burning sensation while urinating
- Vaginal discharge with foul odor, itchiness or irritation
Possible conditions responsible for the pregnancy danger signs
Various conditions can cause these pregnancy danger signs such as:
The contractions, cramps and bleeding during the initial 20 weeks of pregnancy might be an indication of miscarriage and potential loss of the child. Oftentimes, a miscarriage can be prevented with bed rest.
Severe morning sickness
If there is severe and continuous nausea and vomiting during the initial 3 months of pregnancy, this can lead to loss of weight and fluids from the body. Both the mother and child might not receive enough nutrients.
Temperature over 100 degrees F might be a sign of an infection or ailment. The elevated body temperature or infection can lead to preterm labor.
High blood pressure and preeclampsia
Regular monitoring of the blood pressure is vital during pregnancy. If there is high blood pressure along with other signs, it is called as preeclampsia.
There might be an issue with the placenta if there is vaginal bleeding during the 2nd half of pregnancy, with or without any discomfort.