An acid skin burn can damage the skin upon contact. The burns generally occur in the work environment or at home. It is vital to manage an acid skin burn properly since the chemical might continue to damage the skin after initial exposure. For minor cases, it can be managed at home.
Steps in caring for an acid skin burn
- Remove the cause of the burn right away while preventing further exposure to the skin. It is recommended to brush away any excess when it comes to dry chemicals.
- Flush out the acid from the affected skin using cool, running water for at least 20 minutes. This helps ensure that the acid is eliminated as well as prevent further damage to the skin.
- Prepare a moist, cold compress using a sterile pad if available or a clean cloth and apply on the site of the acid skin burn. Hold the compress over the wound if needed to provide relief to the discomfort.
- Cover the site of the burn loosely using a sterile bandage if possible. You can utilize a fresh bandage if a sterile alternative is not on hand. Remember that you should be careful when taking out the bandage to prevent tearing the skin.
- Provide an over-the-counter pain medication to soothe the acid skin burn. The right dosage based on the instructions on the packaging should be followed. If a child sustained the injury, a doctor should be consulted first for appropriate medications to provide.
For a second or third-degree burn or there are indications of shock such as feeling faint or shallow breathing, call for emergency assistance. If the acid burn affects the hands, face, feet, buttocks or groin, consult a doctor.
More Information / Disclaimer
The information posted on this page on an acid skin burn is for learning purposes only. Learn to properly care for this type of burn by taking a standard first aid course with Red Deer First Aid.