Carrot allergy is not a common form of allergy. It is considered as one of the least likely foods to trigger an allergic reaction, but allergies have been reported. If you suspect that a child is highly sensitive to carrots or experiencing a reaction, a doctor should be seen as soon as possible.
Is my child allergic to carrot?
If a child is allergic to a certain food, he/she will not show any signs of an allergy. Upon initial consumption, the body perceives it as a threat and produces antibodies to fight it off.
During the second time the food is eaten, it is detected by the body and the immune system initiates its defense which results to the symptoms of an allergic reaction. Some of the reactions to carrot are hardly obvious which only triggers gas or fussiness. The other symptoms that might arise include a swollen throat which might be deadly.
What are the indications of a reaction?
In case a child is highly sensitive to carrot, he/she generally ends up with physical signs of the allergy.
Some of the symptoms of an allergy include hives, diarrhea, vomiting, sneezing, runny nose, fatigue, fussiness, wheezing, gas, coughing and stomach pain.
It is recommended to wait until the child is at least 7 months old to introduce cooked carrots or at least 10 months before providing grated raw carrots. If carrots were given earlier than these suggested ages and an allergic reaction arises, a doctor should be consulted regarding the reintroduction of the food as his/her system matures.
When to seek medical care
When the child has trouble breathing, swelling in the lips or face or severe vomiting or diarrhea after eating, seek prompt medical care. If uncertain whether it is an emergency, call for help right away.
Remember that it is best to stay safe since the airways can become swollen and closed in just minutes of consuming the allergen. In case the child has a severe reaction to carrot, the doctor might prescribe an epinephrine auto-injector that can stop an allergic reaction upon administration.