Morel mushroom

Can morel mushrooms trigger an allergic reaction?

Fact Checked

Even though edible and safe to eat, morel mushrooms can trigger an allergic reaction in some individuals. If the individual has not eaten morel mushrooms or suspect that he/she might have an allergy, closely monitor for the symptoms and take special precautions to avoid activating any of the severe symptoms.

In addition, it is vital to consume mushrooms that you can plainly recognize and not to eat one unless sure that it is edible.

What are the indications?

Similar with any food allergy, the symptoms triggered by morel mushrooms can range from mild to severe. The usual symptoms affect the digestive tract such as the following:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Nausea
    Morel mushroom
    The doctor might recommend an autoinjector epinephrine in case of a severe reaction.
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting

The other common symptoms that can manifest include the following:

  • Swollen lips, tongue or throat
  • Hives
  • Itchiness of the mouth
  • Nasal congestion
  • Wheezing
  • Dizziness

In some individuals, a severe reaction or anaphylaxis can occur where the throat is swollen which makes it difficult to breath. Anaphylaxis often triggers a drop in the blood pressure, rapid pulse and significant lightheadedness. Remember that an allergic response can start right away or occur several hours after consumption of the morel mushrooms.

Management of reactions to morel mushrooms

An over-the-counter antihistamine is used for mild reactions. A doctor is not required in such cases but it is vital to avoid eating morel mushrooms. Remember that a minor reaction can progress to a severe one in the future.

If the individual intends to consume morel mushrooms after experiencing an allergic reaction, make sure that an antihistamine is readily available. The doctor might recommend an autoinjector epinephrine in case of a severe reaction. If the individual experiences a severe reaction after eating, it is important to seek immediate medical care.


If the individual eats morel mushrooms for the first time, a small sample must be taken before eating a meal. Even if there are no symptoms present, use a small amount in the first meal before steadily increasing the amount taken.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top

The information posted on this page is for educational purposes only.
If you need medical advice or help with a diagnosis contact a medical professional

  • All content is reviewed by a medical professional and / sourced to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.

  • We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable websites, academic research institutions and medical articles.

  • If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please contact us through our contact us page.